Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 6

Wednesday 9/9/09

This morning all four of the roommates had breakfast. We had a nice talk and then went our separate ways. I took a nap and was late meeting Shelly. I actually got really lost and was a half hour late, but she had gone shopping anyway. When we met, we had lunch at the corner, which was really delicious and cheap. It was thirteen euro for an appetizer, a main dish, and a beer. The appetizer was eggplant and some kind of cream, and the main dish was a salad. The salad had an oil and vinegar dressing and consisted of thin slices of meat and beans with onions. I was very happy after that meal. We took the bus and saw the Rodin museum and Napoleon's tomb. The best ones were of lovers. The human forms entwined in each other and blending into the stone. The bare skin of the figures gave radiated carnality. Napoleon's tomb was very different, it was so overdone that it lost any sense of authenticity. None of it could be taken seriously. Afterward I said farewell to Shelly and headed back to the hostel.

Napoleon's Tomb

Pretty

Today is my last full day in Paris, I am catching an early flight tomorrow morning. I think I have to leave here at seven thirty to get to the airport in time. I will bring my phrase books along so that I can navigate properly. I hope that my buddy finds me at the airport. I will be getting dinner soon and putting some letters in the post box. Unfortunately some of the pictures that I took today were corrupted and lost. So I don't have any pictures of the tower up close. Next time I write I will be in Prague...

I saw this and had to take a picture and post it, sorry

I had a really crazy, and great time at the bar last night. You see after writing for a few hours, my roommates came back, and just by chance our schedules worked out perfectly. Three of us went to eat, and we decided to meet the fourth for drinks later in the evening. The three of us walked down the strip, at prime time. The streets were crowded with people dipping in and out of small crowded shops. People seemed to come from all directions. There were some young people with backpacks trying to stop people on the street. One such lady had stopped me earlier, but I couldn't understand what she was saying. The encounter was silly though, because I saw what she was trying to do. I made eye contact by accident and knew that she was going after me. I tried to side step her about 20 feet away, but she countered with continued eye contact and a wave, that said "I see you." Then I think I said something in English and that changed her attitude to, "oh you don't understand me, that's maybe why you were dodging me."

We ate at some cafe near the Bastille. I got an oversized steak thing with pomme frites. It was gigantic, and with a lot of fat. I realized after I ate it that I probably should have ordered something else. My roommates both had some pasta, that looked really delicious. We then went to get some gellato, but held off when we actually got there because only one of us really wanted it. So we went to another place directly in front of the train station and had some coffee. I remember the conversation was lively, and very fun. We were relaxing with our cafe, as I am now, when we realized that we had to meet our other roommate.

Made me feel very full

Malik and Hiro (right)

Shortly after we returned our fourth buddy returned. He informed us that he had gone for some food, and had met an Italian guy. We went to meet these new people at a nearby bar. We walked for a while, down to the Bastille and then down a very crowded street. The tides of people were now gone from the main street near the hostel, and were now in this off centre street that was full of bars and clubs. I wished I had known about this place before, but it doesn't matter because now I know where to go next time. We skipped most of the places and our Italian roomy, Simone, found the right place. I can't remember the name, but I do remember certain things about it. It was quite dark inside, and the wood was relatively dark as well. The WC was in the back corner and I think it was behind a crinkled glass door. It was all graffiti on the inside and not in very good condition. The entrance was in the middle of the front, and the bar was right to the right of the door, and then went straight back. It was a narrow place and was not very deep either. There were a few small tables to the left against the wall, then a couple more against the back wall. The table we chose was after the end of the bar but in the center. We had met up with about four people; thus making the group a total of about seven. So it was difficult for us all to fit at one table. There were two bartenders, one guy and one girl. The girl was extremely beautiful in my opinion. Blonde, slender, a gorgeous face, and a very attractive accent. She was one of those people that you hope looks back at you when you look at them. Fortunately for me I was a customer so she had to look at me. Later in the night, the people sitting at the back wall were very noisy, and spilled several drinks on the table and on the ground.

We had met a number of very nice people; Marco had met our roommate Simone. Simone, you pronounce the e at the end in case I hadn't already mentioned it, had gone to a different place earlier to watch a football game, and had made acquaintances with Marco. He said that he had heard some Italian being spoken and then made conversation about the game. I find that Americans are not as friendly. Then again some of us are here in Europe with the mindset that we don't want to meet more Americans. I'm lucky so far, and have only met really wonderful people. There is very little antagonism going on amongst the people I've met here. I think today, three weeks after arriving, I saw the first couple glimpses. There was talk that certain groups were not very friendly, but there are people in every group that become somewhat disliked. For example I think there is one guy who is going to be disliked by most of the girls, and I may be disliked for breaking hearts. The other three roommates, me, Hiro, and Malik, were very happy to meet new people that night. We met Marco's friends, Andrew, a girl whose name I can't remember, and at least one other guy, but I can't remember certain names. It was a truly hilarious and fun night from then on.

I think we were all introduced outside, because there were many smokers, and you can't smoke inside in Paris anymore. We quickly moved inside, and sat at the table. I found out a little about almost everyone. Marco and Simone talked a lot to one another in Italian. Late in the night, they were sitting across the table, talking like mad, and not in English. I was later informed by Marco, that there are many different dialects or languages spoken within Italy. That each region speaks its own language that others can't really understand. He told me about the vatican and Rome, and how they had a kind of private army. He told me about Sardinia and Sicily. He spoke English, French and Italian, was tall, had brown hairs, wore glasses and smoked cigarettes.

There was Andrew, Marco's friend, who is blonde, smoked cigarettes, was originally from Canada, and speaks French, Italian, English and understands Spanish. He was studying to manage people's funds and lives south of Paris. Turns out my hair had turned the same colors as their town's rugby team. So it was good luck for them, since they have been ranked very highly, but have never quite had the glory of some championship.

Then there was this girl, who was very pretty, and really talkative. I can't remember where this started, but she was very insistent on talking to me. However, there was one difficulty, that she didn't speak English, and I didn't speak French. So whenever she wanted to talk to me she had to get someone to translate it. Usually this meant nudging someone who was in another conversation. Marco and Andrew were the usual translators. She would spew these long French lines, and monologues, that would then need to be translated for me. Then I would find something to respond with.

I was sitting at the table with Hiro on my right, and Malik across from him. The French girl sat across from me, with Marco next to her, and Simone on my left. I think this was more or less how we sat at the table for the whole night. One of the first things I found out about her was when Marco said to me across the table, "don't get any ideas, she's Andrew's girl." Still she kept getting Marco to translate, for both of us. I don't remember the conversations, except when she spoke in English, which happened for a while. Then I also told a friend's story, that took about fifteen minutes, because I had to talk very slowly. Afterwords, Malik said, "wow, that took a long time." I had my phrase book, which was pretty much useless, since I could only say stock things. I knew how to say, things like, "I'd like a beer," and "I'd like some water." "How are you?" I could look up phrases, but the best ones were about dating, and I couldn't use them. As the night went on and she got more frustrated, she started yelling at me "TRYYY!!!!!" Then she thought I was making fun of her because I couldn't say anything. Malik tried to intervene, by giving me French words or phrases, but it was no help. Never having taken French, ever. I couldn't do anything. She did try and talk to Hiro for a while as well, and we all tried to teach one another words or phrases, which was a lot of fun.This was probably after two or three hours after we'd arrived, but it was good because I was afraid I was going to get beaten up for talking to this guy's girl too much. It was funny when she'd speak a stream of French and the translation was "She said, she wants to be able to talk to a blue headed American boy." I didn't have a good response to these kinds of statements. She finally got frustrated with me and the group split up. I stayed with Hiro and Malik, while she went with the French and Italians. I was a little relieved, because she was not getting upset at me anymore, and a little happy, because she had not gotten thoroughly upset. It was an experience that I don't think any of us will forget, nor be able to retell well. Hiro, Malik and me, all sat and intently tried to converse with one another and this girl, for a few hours.

It turns out that there were many people there that were related to Andrew. This girl was his girl, Marco his friend, his brother came later in the night, and the beautiful bartender was his sister. I was so lucky to be in the company of this fine group of people, and to have met all of someone's siblings. I must say they were a very good looking family. We stayed till closing, and then we exchanged e-mails. I thought I would be able to send them emails later that weekend, but I was so overwhelmed with things to do the next week, that it took some time. I hope I can stay in touch with them, and maybe get some good stories from them.

We said our goodbyes, and made the long trek back to the hostel. I am very grateful to Simone for finding such a nice group of people. I think it was the best note to end my stay in Paris on.

No comments: